The latest Playstation 3 update version 4.45 is reportedly soft-bricking ps3-systems. After the update the xmb-menu won’t show up and the ps3 system will appear to be stuck on the boot screen. According to the following thread on the official Playstation forum the following systems seems to suffer from the issue
PS3s with aftermarket HDDs, 500GB-1TB ~90%
Stock 500GB model ~8%
Stock 120GB model ~1%
Stock 1st-gen fat models ~1%
Sony have released PS3 System Software 4.46, which replaces the buggy 4.45, as well as fixing some network issues some users were having. If your PS3 was broken by updating to 4.45 last week, the following information (from PlayStation) should hopefully fix all the issues. The following instructions will enalbe you to install the 4.46 update even if your ps3 is currently not booting due to the 4.45 system update.
Step 1: Download PS3 Software Update
- You will need a USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive with at least 168 MB of free space. If your PS3 is either CECHA00/CECHB00 series model, you can also use Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, and CompactFlash®.
- Create a folder named “PS3” on the storage media or USB device.
- Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named “UPDATE”.
- Using your computer, click the following hyperlink to begin downloading system software 4.46
- Download the update data from the webpage and save it in the “UPDATE” folder.
- Location: Save in the “PS3” folder > “UPDATE” folder
- File name: Save as file name “PS3UPDAT.PUP”
Note: If the data is not saved in the correct way, the PS3 will not recognize the update data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.
Step 2: Active Safe Mode on the PS3
- With the PS3 off (power light should be red), touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the 1st beep indicating that the PS3 is powering on.
- Continue to hold the power button, and after approximately 5 seconds you will hear a 2nd beep.
- Continue to hold the power button and after 5 more seconds you’ll hear a 3rd beep, and system will power off (Power light goes red).
- Release power button.
- Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the 1st beep, again for PS3 power on.
- Continue to hold and after approximately 5 seconds you will hear the 2nd beep for video reset.
- Continue to hold and after 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release power button.
- If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on screen saying, “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button”.
- Connect a controller to the PS3 with a USB cable.
If you were not able to get into Safe Mode, your system may need service.
Step 3: Manually Update PS3 Software
- Please note: Data and settings may be deleted if you choose any of the first (5) options.
- Please make sure to only choose option [6 – System Update].