Sony recently announced that you would need to install a software update on launch day for the Playstation 4 in order to use the following features:
- Remote Play – allows users to play PS4 titles remotely from a Playstation Vita over Wifi-Networks
- Second Screen – let’s the PS4 use an Android phone or an iPhone as a second screen for games that support that feature e.g. Battlefield 4, Assassin’s Creed
- Screenshots and Gameplay Recording – PS4 always records the last 15 minutes of gameplay that can be shared on Twitter or Facebook or streamed to twitch.tv by hitting the share button on the PS4 controller
- Play as you download – PS4 games have to be installed to the hard drive but players don’t have to wait to start playing. As soon as the first part of the game has been downloaded, you can start the game while the rest downloads in the background
- Voice Chat – Players can chat simultaneously with eight friends in a “party” chat. Players don’t need to be in the same game or applications to talk
- Background Music Player
- Blu-Ray Disc Player and DVD Player
- Voice Commands
The problem is that as of 2013/11/15 the PSN Network is having some capacity issues as the Playstation 4 has launched in the US and everybody is trying to download the 1.50 from Sony’s PSN Servers. Luckily you can “side load” the update by downloading it onto your computer and using a USB – Stick to install the PS4 Update instead of directly downloading it.
The following instruction will allow you to install official PS4 1.50 update. Don’t worry this procedure is officially advertised by Sony as an alternative method to the automatic update. You will still be able to automatically future Updates from Sony directly.
1. Step: Download the system file
2. Step: Prepare the usb stick
On an USB – Storage device (USB-Key, external USB-Hard drive) create the following folder structure:
USB - Storage \ PS4 \ UPDATE (All in UPPERCASE letters) +-PS4/ | +-UPDATE/
Important: Check that the power indicator is not lit. If the power indicator is lit up in orange, touch the power button on the PS4 system for at least 7 seconds until the system beeps a second time.
3. Step: Apply the update
Connect the USB storage device that the update file is saved on, to your PS4 system, and then touch the power button for a least 7 seconds.
The PS4 system starts in safe mode.
If your PS4 system does not recognise the update file, check that the folder names and file name are correct. Enter the folder names and file name in single-byte characters using uppercase letters.